3D Bunion Correction: What Do You Know?
Bunions are a common foot problem that affects both men and women. Many causes can lead to your developing bunions, and they can be extremely painful. The great news is that you do not need to live with bunions, you can get them fixed with the 3D bunion correction!
In this article, we will talk about what 3D bunion correction is and how it works.
What are the Symptoms of a Bunion?
Bunions are bony bumps on the joint at the base of the big toe. They can result in various symptoms that can be treated by wearing better-fitting footwear, custom orthotics, or surgery. Bunions typically cause pain and swelling when standing or walking. Other symptoms of a bunion may include:
- Pain in the ball of your foot.
- Ongoing pain or pain that comes and goes in your big toe.
- Limited movement of your big toe.
- Swelling in your big toe joint.
- Difficulty wearing shoes that have a narrow forefoot or toes that point downward, such as high heels, flip-flops, or tight-fitting dress shoes.
- Difficulty walking on uneven surfaces, such as cobblestone streets or gravel paths.
- Redness or inflammation of the skin on the side of your foot at the base of the big toe.
- Pain or discomfort when walking or standing.
- A burning sensation in the bunion area.
- The development of corns or calluses on the big toe or the toe next to it.
- The big toe turns inward or overlaps with the second toe.
When to See a Doctor?
The bunion causes the big toe to be pushed towards the other toes, leading to joint inflammation. It occurs when a person has an inherited predisposition for developing it or when the foot is forced into a position that can cause it.
Women are more prone to developing bunions than men. It can be caused by wearing shoes with narrow toes or by having high arches on your feet. Bunions are also more common in people who are overweight because they put more pressure on their feet and ankles or in people who have had foot surgery, such as hammertoe correction surgery.
If you have any of the symptoms of a bunion, you should contact our office for an evaluation. This is especially important if the bunion is causing you pain or discomfort or if it is interfering with your ability to walk or wear certain types of shoes.
- If you have redness or swelling in the area of the bunion, this could be a sign of infection. You should see our doctors right away to get treatment.
- If you have difficulty moving your big toe or feel stiffness in the joint, this could be a sign of another serious problem, such as arthritis. Our doctors can diagnose the problem and recommend the appropriate treatment.
- If you have corns or calluses on your toes, these can be a sign of irritation or pressure from the bunion. Our doctors can recommend ways to relieve the pressure and prevent the formation of these painful skin growths.
As a rule of thumb, it is a good idea to see our doctors if you are experiencing any symptoms that are interfering with your daily activities or causing you discomfort. Our podiatrists can determine the cause of the symptoms and recommend the best treatment.
What is the 3D Bunion Correction?
3D bunion correction, also known as lapiplasty surgery, is a surgical procedure that completely corrects a bunion. Other traditional bunion surgeries only seek to get rid of the bump of the bunion by removing the part of the bone sticking out the side of your foot. However, lapiplasty surgery corrects the bunion itself without removing part of the bones in your foot.
How Does it Work?
3D bunion correction is a revolutionary new way to correct bunions in the foot. Traditional bunion surgery works by realigning the toe joint in two dimensions. 3D bunion surgery works by stabilizing the toe joint in three dimensions to relieve pain from bunions and realign the big toe.
During 3D bunion correction surgery, our surgeon makes small incisions in the skin over the bunion. They then use special instruments to move the bones and joints back into the correct formation, thus realigning the big toe. Our podiatrists will then use pins, screws, or other devices to hold the bones in their new position.
The goal of 3D bunion correction surgery is to improve the alignment of the bones in the foot and relieve the symptoms of the bunion. This type of surgery is typically done on an outpatient basis, and patients can usually return to their normal activities within six weeks. This not only means that 3D bunion correction surgery is a highly effective treatment for bunions, but also a quicker option than that of traditional bunion surgeries, which can take twice as long to heal.
Is 3D Bunion Correction Effective?
The effectiveness of 3D bunion correction surgery varies depending on the individual patient and the severity of their bunion. In general, most patients who undergo this type of surgery experience a significant improvement in their symptoms and can return to their normal activities within six weeks.
One study found that 99% of patients who underwent 3D bunion correction surgery did not suffer a recurrence of their bunion over an 18-month period. This suggests that the surgery is highly effective at correcting the underlying problem and preventing the bunion from returning.
Bid Goodbye to Your Bunion
At Foot & Ankle, we are a team of expert doctors and surgeons in all things feet and ankles. We offer a wide variety of medical treatments, such as 3D bunion correction, custom orthotics, and MSL laser therapy—all delivered with attention and care.
Contact our office in Mechanicsburg, PA today and book your appointment. It’s time to be rid of your bunion and the pain it is causing!