An ingrown toenail can be caused by trimming the toenails rather short, especially on the edges of the big toes. As you trim the toenails, you may, like many others, taper its corners such that the nail follows the curves of the toe. However, this method may cause toenail growth into the toe’s skin. The nail’s curled edges press against your skin, causing irritation.
What Are the Symptoms of Ingrown Toenails?
One of the most common causes of ingrown toenails is nails that grows into the skin. The big toe is commonly affected. Tapering the corners of a toenail can lead to ingrown toenails, which can be painful. If your toenail grows into your skin because it curves with the form of your toe, you may have inflammation. The majority of the time, ingrown toenails are not harmful to the health of those who suffer from them.
An ingrown toenail is a painful condition that tends to progress with time.
Symptoms in the early stages include:
- Tenderness, swelling, or hardness of the skin adjacent to the nail.
- A painful reaction to toe pressure
- Swelling in the toe area
Symptoms of an infected toe include:
- Red and swollen skin
- Pus in the wound
- Overgrowth of skin on the toes’ edges
What Causes Ingrown Toenails
Too short toenails are the most prevalent cause of ingrown toenails. Nail corners can become obscured by the flesh on the sides of the nail when it is trimmed too short. The nail grows back into the skin rather than out of it when this happens. As a result, nails that are torn rather than cut or trimmed in a rounded form are more likely to b ingrown because they lack defined edges. A new corner forms under the skin as they expand, causing them to become stuck.
Other common causes of ingrown toenails include:
- Uncomfortable footwear: The skin on the sides of your nail can be pushed up over the nail, causing your nail to grow in. Excessively tight shoes might cause this. In addition, wearing too short shoes might cause the nail to grow into your skin, which is a painful experience.
- Injuries to one’s feet: The nail might come off in extreme cases of a toe injury. The new nail may get ingrown if this occurs.
- Repeated action: Ingrown toenails can result from doing the same thing repeatedly, such as kicking a soccer ball.